I just sent this email to the students in my ministry. If you find it helpful, feel free to adapt it for your own church/ministry.
Hope you’re doing well in the aftermath of finals.
Quick suggestion: take a bit of your free time over spring break to do a very simple task that will help strengthen our community.
If you use Facebook, make a friend list for Chi Alpha.
- Go to http://www.facebook.com/friends/?ref=tn
- Click the blue “Make A New List” button on the left side of the screen and call the new list “Chi Alpha”.
- On the next screen, add everyone in Chi Alpha. Use the phone list as a guide (I’ve enclosed the list of names below — just cut and paste them one at a time into the “add to list” box).
- Now every time you log in, you’ve got a simple way to quickly check in with our community. There will be a “Chi Alpha” link on the left sidebar of the main Facebook page that will show you the most recent status updates/shared links/whatever from the people in our group.
- Now add two or three people you are sharing your faith with to the list. Whenever you see their status updates pop up on the XA list you just made, remember to pray for them and invite them to join us the next time you see them.
It’s hardly going to revolutionize your life, but if all or even a lot of us do it then it will make our community that much tighter. Facebook is a great tool for enhancing real life friendships — maximize it for the Kingdom!