The Short Version
Schools like Stanford are steering wheels for our society: as goes the campus, so goes the culture.
The Slightly Longer Version
Schools like Stanford are steering wheels for our society: as goes the campus, so goes the culture. Our leaders are shaped in Stanford’s lecture halls. One scholar estimates that 54 percent of the nation’s corporate leaders and 42 percent of government leaders today graduated from Stanford or one of eleven other highly selective universities (see a little more about that).
And it’s not just America that Stanford influences – roughly 1/5 of the students are from another country (about 10% of the undergrads and about 1/3 of the grad students), and the two most represented nations are China and India.
Today they learn, and tomorrow they lead. These future world-changers must be reached with the gospel while they are more open than they will ever be again!
The Longer Version
Check out this list of alumni. Today they learn, tomorrow they lead:
- Government: 2 Supreme Court Justices (Associate Justices Anthony Kennedy and Stephen Breyer), former U.S. Secretary of State Warren Christopher, 5 U.S. senators, and Ehud Barak (former Prime Minister of Israel)
- Business: the CEOs of 3Com, Hewlett-Packard, Nike, and Sun Microsystems (see a list of companies founded by members of the Stanford community)
- Celebrities: Reese Witherspoon, Chelsea Clinton, Ted Koppel, Sigourney Weaver, Ted Danson, Jack Palance, Jennifer Connelly, and Fred Savage
- Sports: Tiger Woods, John Elway,
and John McEnroe
- Education: the presidents of Yale, the University of Arizona, and Johns Hopkins.
- Science: Vinton Cerf “the Father of the Internet”, and 17 astronauts (including Sally Ride), and the founders of Yahoo! and the founders of Google.
In other words, Stanford is one of the most strategic mission fields in the world!
For an even fuller (and more up to date) list of alumni, check out the famous alumni list maintained by Stanford itself!