Anthony Scoma just told me about a book/author collision so improbable that I had to check it out for myself: Pentecostal Gifts and Ministries in a Postmodern Era by James K. Bridges.
Anthony assures me that contributors include Maurice Lednicky and Opal Reddin.
Wow. This will mean nothing to 95% of you, but the other 5% are probably rolling on the ground in laughter right now. I can think of virtually no one in our movement who speaks with less authority on doing anything in our “postmodern era.”
Don’t misunderstand me–there are many things about which they could write. This just isn’t one of them. Having these authors write about postmodern ministry is as silly as having George Bush write a history of the Democratic Party. There’s a lack of credibility.
I wonder if they knew what volume they were contributing to or if the title was a last‐minute marketing change to sell more books? If the title changed on them at the last minute then I feel sorry for them, it just made them look silly.
A message to James Bridges, Maurice Lednicky, and Opal Reddin (should they read this): please understand that I bear you no malice . I just think the idea that you and your peers were the primary contributors to this book is so funny that I actually laughed out loud when I heard it. You are many good and noble things: filled with integrity, wise, Spirit‐filled, and disciplined are just a few of the adjectives that come to mind. You are not, however, postmodern. Nor do you understand the postmodern mindset.
Of the authors Anthony named to me, the only one who I would expect to have anything illuminating to say is Joe Castleberry. I’d believe that he actually understands something about this generation and some of the underlying philosophical issues with which they wrestle.
, or Ryan Delameter.
Wow. That would be a pretty good book.
I have pulled this up from the comments beneath to bring some clarity to a post that is obviously far more confusing than I thought it was when I wrote it (7/25/2006): I have great respect not only for Opal Reddin but for the other ministers I mentioned as well. No one can be an expert in every area of ministry. Some are skilled theologians and some are skilled preachers and some rare few are both. Some excel at pastoral care, others at exegeting our culture, others at translating the Biblical languages, others at church architecture, and others still at musical worship. When I say that these ministers are the wrong group to write a book on ministry in a postmodern context I am merely suggesting that there are others who would have been much better choices. No insult was intended.